
We've all seen the pictures and push them to the back of our minds. We don't know what to do about it so we do nothing. After all, we are just one person and there are other people out there who are taking care of it. Or maybe we are trying to do more and we financially support or sponsor some children but how can we possibly take care of them all?
This picture really got to me when I saw it. I don't know if it is how skinny these kids look or the fact that they look so much like Kenan to me. Different skin color but same eager faces... the look of innocence. I just want to help them in anyway I can. My mind goes back to the thought that I'm just one person... what am I supposed to do to change anything? We have a lovely little girl named Nathali who lives in the Dominican Republic who we sponsor. I love corresponding with her and knowing that our meager amount we send gives her clothes and medicine and education. But let's face it I can't help every child. Sometimes it feels like there is such a great need and so few workers willing.
I've heard it said that God gave us enough to sustain the whole earth. There is research that says every person alive today could live in the states of Kansas and Nebraska. We have plenty of room and plenty of resources to feed everyone. Our problem lies with distribution. Why are we not sharing?
Just some thoughts today as I contemplate what my role is to be in all of this. Sometimes I get so comfortable here. I have a roof over my head, plenty of food to eat, two cars, and yet I still long for more. Always reaching for that next thing to make me even more comfortable. What if that isn't the way we are supposed to live at all? What if those job advancement... that extra 1,000... the new car... what if all that doesn't matter at all and what truly matters is how we take care of those in need? Would I pass? Would you?
***** I am in no way making light of Steve Jobs. He was a great innovative man and changed America with what he created. I just know he is one man and there are many more dying daily...hourly.
3 comments:
Oh Hannah, I know what you mean. It is so hard!! I feel like it's just something we need to grapple with, maybe never finding some satisfactory answer, but to keep wrestling with it, with what is our part to play in this world. Maybe it changes year to year or week to week. It's just for us to be open to the Holy Spirit, isn't it? And to move in whatever way He says move, to be unafraid to "sacrifice", to create a lifestyle of giving, because isn't that what His grace is?? And who knows how seeing your obedience may affect someone else, who then gives and affects someone else, and the chain of giving is started. I read once that if every Christian in America would tithe 10%, America alone could take care of world hunger... It's crazy.
Jesus will come back and set it all to right...but in the meantime, He's sent us into the world to be His hands and His feet. May we take this role seriously!
So between you and our church sermon yesterday pondering adopting an orphanage in Uganda, I can't help but pray and think God is trying to open my heart to something...
Well said, Leah!
I saw this too...it is definately one of those images that really makes you stop and think.
Post a Comment