Monday, February 6, 2012

Secret

I've been struggling for quite sometime with the secret to contentment. I've always known it is something I must possess in order to be fulfilled and living how God wants me to be. Yet, it has always been a fleeting thought for me.

I find I am always wondering what so and so's life is like or wondering how they could be blessed so huge while we are trying so hard and it seems like we struggle greatly. Ugly thoughts I know but it has been the truth for me for too long. I've come to realize that it is really just jealousy. Ok, I know what you are thinking.. how can someone who claims to know Christ, and has been given way more than she deserves, be jealous. I don't know why or how and I hate these feelings and yet I have them. Whew... It's out.

Lately through some wise words and through retraining myself I think I am finding how to be content with what I have...with who I am... with MY life.
You see, no one has the perfect life. Even those who may act like they do and make you long for what they have. There is no perfection this side of heaven.. only the illusion of it. I think those deep longings we feel in our hearts are just going to be there forever until Heaven when God satisfies us and we are in His presence.


Our job now is to kick out the if only I had that thoughts... or life would be easier if..etc... Instead replace them with thoughts of praise and gratitude for what has been done for us. Sure we may have to work harder than others but thank-you God that we are not handicapped and we are able to work. We may have to sacrifice more (or so it seems), but Thank-you God that you have met all our needs that we are able to give. We may feel like we aren't loved, or significant to the world but, Thank you Father that you would have died even if it was just for me.

What more could I possibly need or want. God is enough and that is reason to be content.

For further reading I strongly encourage you to pick up Lysa Terkeurst's book Becoming more than a good bible study girl. It is phenomenal and will challenge you in many areas of your life. (Unless you're perfect! ;-) )

1 comment:

Veronica and Daniel said...

So not perfect! Will be ordering this book ;)