Do you ever feel like God is up to something big. You can feel it and sense in the way He is changing you but you just don't know what exactly He is wanting. That is exactly where I am at right now. Over and Over again He is showing himself to me in new ways...it has all happened to bring about change.
Let's chat about priorities. I've always known that my priorities are God, then husband, then kids, then others. I've thought that is how I have lived. That is how I meant to live anyway. Lately I have been shown that I am putting God/others together. I felt like I was serving God by serving others. Don't get me wrong, that is a way we can serve God but when it is happening at the expense of our husband and kids we have something mixed up. I struggle with people pleasing. Always have and probably always will. You know you have it wrong when you equate people pleasing with God. That is what I have been doing. I feel like I am being a "Godly woman" when I am pleasing others. Oh.. how wrong I have been. Our job is not to please others but to show them the way to Christ by living our lives in such a manner that they see the Christ in us and want Him for their own. How can that happen if we are always striving to please others. No, it comes by seeing strong marriages because we take the time and effort and have our boundaries set up so our husbands come 2nd in our lives. It comes by having healthy children and amazing relationships with them because we haven't cared what others thought about what committees we are in or how involved in other groups we are.
This thought is so new and freeing to me. I feel like I am walking on air. If it is a hardship on my husband or my kids I can decline and if I am judged it doesn't matter. I'm not living to please them.. only my God. He is most pleased with me when I am standing up for what is right for my family. Not that this is a free ticket to say no to everything because your kids might not want you to do something. Ultimately if God is in that #1 position we will feel a whisper or nudge in our spirit. I have found I can know if I'm supposed to do something with the presence or absence of peace I get from the decision. Don't be afraid to tell them you need time to pray about it when you are asked to be a part of something. There are so many needs out there. More than you can do alone. I have made a pact to prayerfully consider before I say yes to anything... also, since Joel is not a people pleaser and can say no without a single hint of guilt I also need to bring the request to him so he can help me see if it is going to hinder or grow our family.
This area will probably always be one I struggle in but with God's help and my husband's I hope to be able to set up healthy boundaries and overcome the guilt I feel when I say, "I can't right now." I strongly believe God has given me kids for me to raise and they are only little right now and I want to treasure and train and give them all of me. Not my leftovers.
I would love to hear how you guys balance this area in your lives if you would like to leave me a comment. It is so great to be growing and have others along with on this journey to sharpen one another in love. Thanks for your help.
2 comments:
Love the new blog look :) I am still working on the balance thing. I think you are doing a great job!
I love the new look!
I have a hard time saying no, so I am really looking at areas to scrimp out of my life so I have more downtime for Paul and, more importantly, devotional time
Post a Comment