Friday, February 13, 2009

A good read

This is passage from the book Sacred Marriage by Gary Thomas. I strongly recommend it!



Those of us who have been married for a while tend to forget the "single ruse.' By that I mean the tendency on the part of some (certainly not all) single people to think that what they really need is to find "the one." Once their life mate is found , they assume, everything else will fall into place. Their loneliness, their insecurity, their worries about their own significance-all this and more will somehow mystically melt away in the fire of marital passion.
And, for a very short season, this might appear to be the case. Infatuation can be an intoxicating drug that temporarily covers up any number of inner weaknesses.
But marriage is a spotlight showing us that our search for another human being to "complete" us is misguided. When disillusionment breaks through, we have one of two choices: Dump our spouse and become infatuated with somebody new, or seek to understand the message behind the disillusionment- that we should seek our significance, meaning, and purpose in our Creator rather than in another human being,
Approached in the right way, marriage can cause us to reevaluate our dependency on other humans for our spiritual nourishment, and direct us to nurture our relationship with God instead. No human being can love us the way we long to be loved; it is just not possible for another human to reach and alleviate the spiritual ache that God has placed in all of us.
Marriage does us a very great favor in exposing this truth, but it presents a corresponding danger- getting entangled in dissension. For the sake of prayer, it is essential that we live in unity. For the sake of unity, our passions and desires must be God-directed.

I am being brutally honest here when I tell you I would be lying if this doesn't describe me. I have always dreamed of "mr. right" and how different and great my life would be when he came along. I, in a way, equated him as my savior. How unfair to put that on any human being. It is impossibe as the passage above states for a man to be your everything. Joel does a great job but still falls short of the Savior mark! :-)

I just thought this passage was good. It is so true that we need to look for God to fulfill us in everything and in every season. We can't be looking for someone else to do it. It won't ever happen if we are waiting for that!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Honey,
So glad you are enjoying the book. It is by far the best one I have ever read on marriage! If more people "got it" there would be so much less divorce. We are in the marriage we are in for a reason. God wants to work on US. He truly is more interested in our holiness than our happiness. Happy Valentine's Day. Love, MOM <><