Sunday, February 1, 2009

Holy = Happy

I have been doing a lot of reading and seeking God on the issue of my marriage. I have a wonderful husband and two amazing girls and yet I still feel as though something is missing. I love God and choose to follow him but I am just starting to fully understand the depth of what that means.
I don't know about you guys but I have always looked for others to make me happy. You know, once I get married and meet the man of my dreams I will be happy, or once I have a baby, or once I have just the right amount of money... The list goes on and on. I always wanted to be married. I would lay awake in bed at night just dreaming up my future husband. Well- dreams are dreams, and truth be told a little unrealistic. Having the real thing is wonderful but it doesn't quite match up to my expectations of what I thought about all those years.
In the last several months I have had to deal with the dissapointment of that and accept it for what it is. I can't look to my marriage or my husband to make me happy. I am reading the book called Sacred Marriage, I would strongly recommend it. His whole concept is what if marriage wasn't designed to make you happy but to make you Holy. Learning to accept one anothers faults and love one another anyway. Isn't that the whole basis of the Bible and how we are to live our lives. It has not only opened up the way I view Joel or my role I play in our marriage but also my view of God. The reason why he is so against divorce is because he intended marriage to be a reflection of the way he views us. Even though we are unholy at times and unlovable at times he still loves us. Anyway- it has really been a revelation for me and I thought I would share what has been on my heart and mind. I know someday Joel and I are going to have a phenomenal marriage. We are putting our building blocks into place now to accomplish just that. With God's help, marriages can always win and always survive and thrive.

On a different note, the memory verse I have chosen for the next two weeks is this,
"Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will recieve the crown of life that God has promised to those who love Him."
James 1:12
What a great promise to hold unto.

3 comments:

Kara Scharrer said...

Hannah, you are always an encouragement to me. Joel is so lucky to have you as a wife because you put 110% of your efforts into trying to make yourself and your relationships better. You are an amazing person and inspiration for us all.

Hannah said...

Thank you Kara! You are too sweet to me! I don't think I deserve all that praise though. I certainly don't always have the right attitude but I am praying lots about it.

Leah said...

Hannah-- you are so right: With God, marriages can always win and not just survive but thrive!! And you and Joel are going to be even more abundantly blessed as you seek Him as a couple and make knowing Him, serving Him, and loving others your top priority. How FANTASTIC that you get to be a team in that!!!

I love you both and I love you guys together and I'm so happy you are "Hannah and Joel" :)