Saturday, January 8, 2011

New Year's Resolution

"Grace, by definition, is undeserved favor. It's giving good things to people who have done little or nothing to merit them. It's offering second...and third... and more chances to people who can't guarantee they've learned their lesson."---Donna Otto

This is a hard concept to me. I tend to be more justice oriented and really struggle with grace and mercy. Although in proverbs it talks about how mercy and justice must reign equally. Interesting.... It is just such a struggle to forgive that same offense again and again... or to look the other way when someone who "doesn't deserve" a free ride is getting one.

This year my one concept I am going to work on hard in my life and pray continuously for is to have Grace. I want to not judge what others are doing and not think everything has to be fair all the time. I get so caught up in the thought that if it's done for so and so it should be done for me as well. Then, when it doesn't come my way the bitterness rolls in. It is no way to live and definitely not for a productive Christian life. It's a joy stealer and a relationship breaker. I am going to live free from those feelings. I know I'm in for some hard times learning how to exhibit Grace all the time. I'm sure I will fail miserably sometimes but I'll get up and start again. That's what this walk with God is all about anyway!

No comments: