I have been struggling with prayer lately- not so much prayer itself but just how to pray and what confidence we can have that our prayers will be answered. I am reading a book right now called "Too busy not to pray," by Bill Hybels. It has so far been an excellent book and has cleared up some of my confusion. I just wanted to quote a paragraph here.
"How do you pray a prayer so filled with faith that it can move a mountain? By shifting the focus from the size of your mountain to the sufficiency of the mountain mover, and by stepping forward in obedience."
I find that I so often just look at that mountain. How short we are for money for the month, or how big a diagnosis is, or how hard a relationship is, rather than focusing on God- and how he is able to do anything we ask. Nothing is too big or too small. James 4:2 says, "You do not have because you do not ask." I just found that to be so awesome. I just need to remember who God is and that He is able.
Thank you for your prayers. I have been so worried about this bladder cancer thing but I can honestly say now that I am feeling peace. God is watching out for me and nothing takes him by suprise. I can rest in his able hands.
1 comment:
Shifting the focus from the size of the mountain to the mountain-mover... That's good. They mentioned the same thing at church this morning!! I wonder if God's trying to say something to me :) I've been working myself into a stress about lack of funds and how that inhibits my willingness to work in ministry and all... ugh. Then lately I've been looking at what it takes to give me legal right to live in Ireland-- or another European country, if need be!-- once my student visa is up and it looks all so impossible :( :( But He doesn't call what He doesn't qualify... And He's still in the business of moving apparent mountains...
You should read a book on prayer called "Deepening Your Conversation with God" by Ben Patterson. Wow... It's good. I'd like to read it again. I borrowed it from Mom when she came over here the first time and she'd borrowed it from the church library. Try to check it out because it really helped to give me so much clarity and focus on the subject of prayer.
Love you!! Praying for you!!!
Post a Comment