Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Struggles

I thought this was really good and something I am striving for in my own life. It is such a struggle and I fail daily and I know I will never be perfect until heaven. The self-centerdness thing is really hard. Especially when it comes to my children. I want to be selfish for them- I want things for them. I think that is a pretty legit feeling that most every parent feels but I know that to truly follow Christ that feeling needs to be put in check. I need to not worry about the way others treat/or do not treat my children or myself or my husband. I need to not worry if the Jones's do way more with their children and go on fun vacations ect... I need to sacrifice so that we can give to others who are way more needy than us. I need to sacrifice my own feelings at times to make others happy and special. It doesn't mean that we can't have fun things and do fun things but it does mean that we should always put others above ourselves. It is a hard thing to do. I am finding that I am really a selfish person. I want things how I want them and I don't want anyone to mess with it. I am working on giving it to God and trusting him but I am sure it is something I will never master and always struggle with.


Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself. Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others. Philippians 2:3-4



Lent Day 30: The Book of Ephesians

God says, My enemy will stand against you at every turn. You are no match for him. But My Spirit is in you and the enemy is no match for Him.

Wear the belt of truth. What My Spirit tells you will help you oppose your opposer.

Put on the breastplate of righteousness. Resolve to fight every trace of self-centeredness within you.

Identify the peace the gospel provides. Think of that peace as a pair of shoes you can wear to keep running the race in the face of all opposition.

Hold on to the shield of faith. Know that I am who I AM, that My plan is on course, that you are My child, and that one day you will be fully formed like My Son.

Keep the helmet of salvation on your head. No matter what happens, no matter how you fail, all shall be well.

Never stop reading My letters. My word is My Spirit's sword. Use it to fight evil, first in you, then around you.

Learn to pray. Pray in My Spirit, on all occasions.

Celebrate the joy you can know when you live to complete My Son, to reveal Him to the world, and to delight Him with your response to His love.

2 comments:

Sara said...

Just know you are not alone Hannah! I think we talked about me being bitter about a lot of things and that's what I really struggle with...but I will be praying for you! It is so easy to often put ourselves first when we feel we deserve things more than others or at least work as hard or harder than others. What a good post to read today!

Lindsay said...

Boy it's been a LONGGGGGGG time since I've kept up with you via blog. It seems those I have as FB friends I forget to actually check their blogs!

Hang in there girl. It's funny I stopped by on today's post because I was thinking and actually brought to tears today about how self-centered I am. And you know what, I think God wants us to fall on our knees sometimes and feel that way about ourselves because sometimes that's the only thing that brings about change.

Praying for you.