Saturday, April 17, 2010

HELP

I hope someone knows that to do with this face! My poor little man has been dealing with a skin rash on his face for over a month now. At times it gets bright red and looks sooo sore and other times it is more dotty looking like what you see on the top of his face here. He also has a blocked tear duct that I can't seem to get rid of despite massaging with a warm rag several times a day.

The rash started on the blocked tear duct eye after giving him eye drops the dr. suggested. It looked almost like the drops burnt his skin. Ever since the rash has now spread to the other side of his face too. It is more on his upper cheeks and feels very rough and touch compared to the rest of his skin.
You can see how red and touch looking it is. I am using all natural laundry soap with no harsh chemicals so I don't think that is what is causing it. Besides- it really isn't anywhere else on his body. Here is his other cheek-- this one didn't have anything at first but after about 2 weeks it was there too.






I'm just hoping one of you has dealt with this with their one child and will be able to tell me what to do!! I have used pure lanolin, burts bee's, organic california baby, triple cream, calendula ointment, aveeno lotion. All to no avail.... the lanolin helps the most but nothing clears it up.

3 comments:

Beth said...

oh I'm so sorry! poor little guy. I don't know what to say. My SIL would say to put breastmilk on it! seriously. she says that about everything w her baby though!

Kara Scharrer said...

Hey Hannah (this is going to be a long post), we've had our fair share of rashes. They are hard, unpredictable, and annoying. I'm not completely sure of what Kenan's rash is, but it sort of reminds me of what Skogen's rash started out like (few pictures here: http://scharrerlife.blogspot.com/2009/05/i-fear-putting-too-much-content-on-each.html
and here: http://scharrerlife.blogspot.com/2009/05/skogens-first-haircut.html
and here: http://scharrerlife.blogspot.com/2009/05/4-months-old.html). Skogen's rash ended up being very severe eczema, which him and Maida still struggle with, however as time goes on, we've learned how to treat it and control it. Here's some things you could try... Our dermatologist recommended not using any "lotions" on it. Instead, use something like Aquaphor. Also, try not to use any soap on the rash, only water, and anytime you wipe his face off, reapply the Aquaphor within three minutes of getting his face wet (it helps to trap in moisture). Our kids are really sensitive to anything with fragrance (even if it's all natural). I never let anyone hold Skogen or Maida until I asked if they were wearing perfume or used fabric softner - if they did, they didn't hold them. We also got a steroid from our dermatologist that we used on their skin when it got really bad. Hope this helps! If I think any more advice that we've got or that has helped, I'll let you know. I hope that it goes away fast - or that you at least figure it out and can control it.

Kara Scharrer said...

By the way - I just wanted to tell you that both of my kids had clogged tear ducts, too. We never had any luck with the drops or creams that gave us to put in their eyes. Luckily, Skogen's went away around 5 months and Maida's went away around 9 months. I have had friends that have had the surgery done on their babies (around 12 months) and they say that it's so easy and totally fixes it. Hang in there, Hannah! This mommy business is hard work.