Monday, October 26, 2009

overwhelming

I realized tonight why I hate to shop and why I avoid going into any and all stores.

There was a really good sale on at Target for the game operation. It was 9.00 and it came with a coupon for a free pizza from dominoes. I have been waiting and waiting for this game to go on sale thinking it would be so much fun to do with Abby. The thing I didn't realize until I was walking down the aisles is how all of a sudden I get a case of the gimmes and I want everything I see. All of a sudden, I need a new pot, and comforter, and blankets, and baskets, and a christmas c.d., and a really cute hat and gloves, and fun things for the girls to do, and this precious little baby boy outfit, and lets not even get started on all the glittering, shining Christmas things.
It was horrendous. I am not a spender and rarely do indulge but it is pretty sad how over commercialized this world is. It fools you into thinking you need more and more when really I have everything I need. It just reminded me that this world and all it has to offer are not for me and the more I can keep walking by and saying no, the closer I become to leaving it all and following Christ with my whole life. It just feels so unnatural and so against my human nature, but I think that is what following Christ means. It is contrary to everything your flesh cries out for.
Needless to say I got the game and it will be wrapped up and waiting for her on Christmas morning, and I got out of there with my budget still tightly in place.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Good for you for staying strong! I liked the analogy you used, making your shopping trip like a path through life. Choosing the harder but more wise path. :)