Thursday, October 29, 2009

Thomas Nelson Book Review

I was excited when I found an opportunity to be a book review blogger for Thomas Nelson publishing. I love to read and am always looking for ways to expand my knowledge base. The first book I choose was, The Well-Behaved Child by parenting expert John Rosemond.

Being the mother of two small children with another on the way, I understand how important it is to effectively discipline your child. This book conveyed a lot of good strategies on how to do just that. John does a really good job at not only setting children straight but also the parents as we are usually the ones who have misguided efforts at discipline in the first place. He has a no nonsense approach when it comes to dealing with a misbehaving child and his lack of showing emotion (voice raising, frustration, or exasperation), really does seem to be key in stopping a child's behavioral issues.

I found the book to have lots of practical advice that I will and have already begun to use with my children. Some of his ideas go a little far for me but I also haven't had that much of a problem child to require the extensive disciplinary measures he outlines. The book has inspired me to be more careful in what expression they see from me when I am disappointed in their behavior. I recommend this book to all parents as each child will require discipline at one point or another and as a parent you need to know how to handle it to diffuse the situation quickly.

Happy Reading!

Here is the Thomas Nelson review site for this book and their product page

No comments: