Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Abby's 3

Today my baby turned 3 at 12:04 p.m. I don't know how it went by so fast. Abigail Cathryn was born on May 13th. She was 5 days early. I went into labor at 3 am on the early morning of the 12th by the extremely rude awakening of my water gushing all over. Contractions weren't far behind. I just remember feeling a raw fear of what was to come. Joel and I did Bradley birthing classes (natural childbirth) and hired a doula. I wanted a totally natural experience. I do recommend it to others if they can bear it. My experience was quite tough. I labored at home all day until 4:30 p.m. (13 1/2 hours later) when the doula and I thought I was probably close to a ten. The drive to the hospital was excruciating. I was in so much pain. Thank goodness it was 5 miles from my house. It was only a foreshadow of what was to come. When they checked me I was only a 4. Very disappointing after 14 hours of labor. I then stayed at a 7 for 7 hours and through that whole time I had this incredible urge to push. It was the hardest thing I have ever done to have a contraction and this strong, strong urge to push. My body was just pushing on it's own with contractions. Not fun. We then found out that Abby was posterior. Meaning she was coming out face up instead of face down. That is why it was taking so long. They tried to turn her which she did but then she flopped right back over. The pain was so bad. I was too set on doing it natural to even consider something to help me. After 7 hours at a 7 I finally made it to a ten. It was around 3 am so we thought we would have a baby soon. That did not end up being the case. I pushed for 9 hours, yes nine. Meanwhile my dad and siblings and Steve were all out in the waiting room and my mom and Bev were in with us. I would keep getting her down and then my contractions would space out so much that I would have too long of a break in between and the contractions just weren't strong enough any more. My body was just too wore out. I had two nights of no sleep and way too long of horrible contractions. I finally did get the pitocin to make the contractions stronger and closer together and within 1/2 hour of starting that she was here. Abigail Cathryn Kopkie- weighing 9 lbs 6 oz and 21 1/2 inches long. I had 4th degree tearing and had to leave her to have a surgery when she was only one hour old. The whole experience was quite traumatic but it is my birth story and I definitely went through the worse pain of my life to have her and she is worth it all!
I have put a lot of her baby pictures on here because I know you guys have all seen the older ones.

It was love at first sight. I was so surprised it was a girl. We thought the whole time it was going to be a boy but thank goodness God knew what we needed. She was so beautiful and alert and strong. She lifted up her head right away and looked at me. Our first picture together.
My mom seeing her-- Look at how swollen I was. 9 hours of pushing will do that to someone.
getting weighed. She wasn't the happiest baby and let us know it from the start.
Daddy's first time holding her
Uncle Caleb
Grandma K.
Grandpa K.
Our first family picture. I look like I felt!!
My aunt Deb
Uncle Jonah

My mom and Abby during one of her late night awake times. She started them right at day 1.
First day home
Loving on Abby


Me and my precious Abby
Great Grandma's
Our first "ok" family picture
4th generation



Our birth announcement. She has always been so stunningly beautiful!
Just precious moments from her first week. She wasn't breastfeeding so we went to Park Rapids so I could have my mom's help with feeding her. We were using an SNS system and it really took two hands to feed. She finally started breastfeeding on day 11.
Auntie Leah and her. Leah has always loved her and doted on her. Even tonight she called and left a message singing Happy Birthday to Abby on my cell-phone all the way from England.
Auntie Paula and Auntie Leah
Kari--




Her cousins Emma and Abe. Wow-- How different the picture looks a few years later with them all bigger now.
Cuddling with Daddy
Grandma P.
First smiles
Her little buddy Sofia. I used to watch Sofia so they played together a lot.
More smiles

We can't forget the Mohawk days. She had it bad for about a month. (Abby is looking at these as I type and she says "mom- I have boy hair")
Grandpa and Grandma P.
The Kopkie Family
Me and Leah with our angel
Just a sweet picture


I love this one
Her first swimming adventure at only 3 months. This is my cousin Veronica. I dunked Abby totally under the water.
Family pic from our balcony

doing laundry
Kopkie grandkids with thier grandparents
Look at that face
I love this one too.


Now she is a big sister
Daddy
Abby's face. She loved to make it.


The current beautiful 3 year old.
Me and Abby
so precious
Halloween
Abby and Emily I am so proud of my precious little 3 year old. She is amazing. She is so smart and sweet and kind to everyone. I am very in love with her. Not a day goes by that I don't thank God for her. She is my very blessed gift from above!










5 comments:

Beth said...

Happy Birthday Abby! Your post is very sweet Hannah. I know it took LOTS of time and thought. It's amazing how fast they grow and change. Each new day is amazing!

Kara Scharrer said...

Hannah- I remember when Abby was born. I talked to you three days later. I thought that you were such a great mom already and I couldn't wait to meet the new baby. Every time I saw you and Abby after that, the minute I walked in your door, you always put Abby in my arms right away, even before you could say, "Do you wanna hold her?". I always appreciated that about you, how willing you were to share your little princess with me. I adored you and Abby and wanted sooo badly to someday be a mommy too. Time does fly... three years later and I have my own. :)

I loved all the pictures you posted. I've said this before, but you have such beautiful chilren. You're blessed.

Hannah said...

Thanks guys-- It was fun to do. It did take awhile though. You just forget how little they were and what they looked like ect...
Thanks Kara for always being so encouraging. It is fun to watch you with your little girl too. They are amazing.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, oh my goodness, oh my goodness! I miss my Abby... badly.

gladtommygabby said...

What a birth story....I know I've heard it before but WOW!!!!! All worth it in the end:) This is such a beautiful collage of pictures. Abby is such a beautiful little girl, it is fun to watch her grow and change! Happy Birthday Abby!