Thursday, December 3, 2009

Very short, important movie to watch about Christmas

I don't know what the deal is this year with me and Christmas. Not that I am feeling like a scrooge or a bah humbug (my husband has that position covered). I am just feeling really, really sick and tired of all the commercialism and expecations for gifts. When did Christmas become about that? I don't want it to be about that. Don't get me wrong- I don't think there is anything wrong with exchanging gifts. In fact, I have a few things for my girls and I am very excited to give them. I just feel like Jesus is getting lost in all this mess. When I am out and about I have only heard Jesus mentioned once, ONCE. This is supposed to be about him. I hear and see Santa everywhere and hardly anything about Jesus. It is enough to make me want to boycott. Instead, I will talk about Jesus, and never Santa. Our kids know he isn't real and that people made him up to take the focus off Jesus. They also know that Christmas is Jesus's birthday and he is sharing presents with them. I can't wait to sit down on Christmas and tell them about all he did. How he gave his life for them and that was the ultimate gift.

I also hope to make Christmas be about doing special things and spending time with those we love with no strings attached. We are going to use it to celebrate Christ!


2 comments:

Sara said...

I completely agree that the reason we celebrate Christmas is sometimes lost, but I'm also teaching about Santa. He was once real and his spirit still continues!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Nicholas

Deb said...

Thanks for sharing that inspiring video, Hannah! I, too, get very discouraged by all the commercialism and materialism of the "holidays". But I try to keep my focus on Jesus by reading daily advent devotionals, decorating with items that depict His birth, sharing the "good news" in my cards, and even by saying "Merry Christmas" (instead of the politically correct "Happy Holidays")! I really like how you put Bible verses on your advent chain links!!

Donating your time and money is a great way to share God's love with others not only during the Christmas season, but throughout the whole year. We put together shoeboxes for Operation Christmas Child every year, go caroling at the local nursing home, and we've even served dinner to those who are homeless.

I haven't even started my shopping for this year yet, but I'm not stressed about it because I'm just really looking forward to spending time celebrating with our family at the wedding and at Christmas = )
And having my parents here with us will make this year even more special.

Hoping we get to see you and your new bundle of joy over Christmas too!

Keeping Christ in Christmas ~
Aunt Deb <><