Friday, October 17, 2008

A promise

I am a very worried mom. Let me paint some illustrations for you so you can understand the extent of it. I worry about them getting sick with something that is incurable, I worry about them falling in the pond behind our house, I worry about them getting hit by a car that would happen to drive up onto the sidewalk. I think of the ramifications of what would happen to thier little self esteems if someone were to be too harsh on them. I worry about them getting kidnapped. I worry about a simple paper cut turning into a full-blown infection. I worry about anything and everything. It is such an added stress that I don't have to have. I am now claiming this verse as a promise to us.

Isaiah 65:23
"I will not toil in vain. I did not bring forth Abby and Emily to be doomed to misfortune, for we will be a people blessed by the Lord, us and our descendents."

Isn't that amazing. God knows- He knows all my worries and he for sure knows how much I love them because he loves them more. I just have to keep handing it over to him again and again and know 100% that God does not make a mistake and he is looking out for our best in everything.

5 comments:

Kara Scharrer said...

Hey Hannah! Thanks for posting about worrying. You know, it's funny, because you say that you worry too much about your kids... and I don't think I worry enough about mine! Your post wasn't only a reminder to you, not to worry, but a reminder to me that I should worry (or be a little more conserned) for my children. I don't always go to God about things I probably should. Thank you for the reminder!

Beth said...

Good thoughts Hannah. Any mom can relate! I tend to be a worrier too. You know what helps me? The verse in your previous post... "Finally brethren, whatsoever things are true..." When I'm thinking about all the what if's of life I'm not thinking things that are true. That's sin. We are commanded to think the truth and not dwell on the potential what if's! Thanks again for the encouragement.

Deb said...

Hannah ~ Our children are a tremendous blessing and a precious gift from the Lord. While He entrusts our children to us for a short time, they ultimately belong to Him. Our worry shows a lack of faith and trust in God's plan for them (and for us), as He loves and knows them even more than we do. After all, God is in control (not us), and nothing touches our lives unless it first passes through His loving hands. We may not understand why difficult and even tragic things happen in our lives, but we can trust that God is always working out His good and perfect will.
"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God." ~ Philippians 4:6
Love you ~ Aunt Deb <><

Leah said...

So true!! His word says not to be anxious about anything, but to pray about it and accept His peace. And in Jeremiah he says that He rejoices in doing us good and will never stop doing us good. So even when something doesn't seem like His goodness in our lives, from His eternal viewpoint, it is... There's such a chance to rest in that knowledge if we'll just take it!! He's the Papa, let Him do the worrying :)

gladtommygabby said...

You and I are way to much alike when it comes to worry. Do you remember when I asked you if Emily has ever tried to eat her hair clip? At that time you said, "no, I haven't even thought of that". Ironically enough, a few months later, Emily did try to eat that hair clip (how scary!). I am a person who always thinks of "that situation" that "might" happen. It's so frustrating but this post helped put my mind at ease....at least for now!
Thanks!