Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Only me

This morning at 9:00 am. I got a call from my dr.'s office telling me that my d-dimer blood test was elevated and I needed to get to the hospital for a chest catscan immediatly. A neighbor came and got my girls and I left for the hospital. They had a hard time getting an i.v. in me and had to put one in and than take it out again and put in another. They started the catscan and put the contrasting dye in and my arm started hurting immediatly. They were in another room to shield themselves from the radiation so I didn't know what to do. After a couple minutes they came in to check on me and by then my arm was throbbing. The nurse took the iv out and told me that my vein ruptured so the contrasting dye went into my arm and none got into my lungs where it was supposed to go. My arm looked and still looks horrible. It is huge- double it's size and red and purple and blotchy. Several different nurses came into my room and so did the radiologist and a doctor. They told me if the swelling doesn't go down in 24 hours I am going to have to go to my dr. and than he will have to send me to a plastic surgeon to have my arm de-compressed. I don't know what that means and I don't want to find out.
They than had to give me another i.v. and repeat the whole procedure again. This time thankfully my vein did not rupture. I guess it only happens in 1-2% of cases. Of course, I would happen to fall into those slim percentages.
The good news is I do not have a pulmonary embolism. My lungs were clear. Bad news, we still don't know what is causing the way I am feeling and why my d-dimer is elevated. It means more testing and more testing means more money for us. Just to have the catscan today was 1,000 out of pocket and so was going to the e.r. on Friday night. God will provide though! He is faithful!

2 comments:

Leah said...

Oh my goodness gracious, Hannah!!!!
How can they not find what it is-- and then CHARGE YOU for their not finding it??! And shouldn't they be sued for malpractice or something for messing up your arm? That's AWFUL! You poor thing!! What did the girls think of your arm when you came home? Oh, I wish I could be there to help you, Hannah... Soon!
Love you. Praying for you. He sees, He knows, He loveslovesloves, and He can make good come even from this! Keep trusting Him!

Lindsay said...

Oh geesh - I'll be praying for you! We know all too well that hospital bills are such a burden, but to be healthy is number one. Hang in there!