I have been feeling for awhile that I should write about the subject of politics. I keep putting it off knowing what a touchy subject it is. I want to apologize in advance if I offend any of you. I figured this was my blog and my little space in the world to have a voice so I want to make it heard. I will come right out and say it upfront, I am a Christian first- that is going to dictate how I vote and who I vote for. I want someone who is going to uphold things to the most biblical standard. Neither of our candidates this year are a perfect choice (are they ever?), but there is one who for sure sticks out with more values, more ethics, more decency than the other. I strongly believe McCain should be elected for President.
When you look at the chart comparison below you will see that he is consistently more in line with Biblical views. I am discouraged that it isn't 100% but next to his opposition he looks like a saint. McCain is pro-life which I think is a must to consider for any christian who is voting. That is always the 1st think I look at in anyone I am going to vote for. Your stance on abortion tells me a lot about you as a person, and where your walk with God is. To me where Obama stands on this issue says a lot about him:
"But Obama's record on abortion is extreme. He opposed the ban on partial-birth abortion -- a practice a fellow Democrat, the late Daniel Patrick Moynihan, once called "too close to infanticide." Obama strongly criticized the Supreme Court decision upholding the partial-birth ban. In the Illinois state Senate, he opposed a bill similar to the Born-Alive Infants Protection Act, which prevents the killing of infants mistakenly left alive by abortion. And now Obama has oddly claimed that he would not want his daughters to be "punished with a baby" because of a crisis pregnancy -- hardly a welcoming attitude toward new life. "
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/04/01/AR2008040102197.html
First off, let me begin by explaining in graphic details what a partial birth abortion is:
Partial Birth Abortion is performed after 20 weeks gestation and can go up into the ninth month
Guided by ultrasound, the abortionist grabs the baby's leg with forceps.
The baby's leg is pulled out into the birth canal.
The abortionist delivers the baby's entire body, except for the head.
The abortionist jams scissors into the baby's skull. The scissors are then opened to enlarge the hole.
The scissors are removed and a suction catheter is inserted. The child's brains are sucked out, causing the skull to collapse. The dead baby is then removed.
To see additional, more detailed images of partial-birth abortion, and documentation from medical experts on the accuracy of these images, click here.
If you don't believe me look it up for yourself. It is sick and wrong. How can any man who is for this butchering be elected by the people? This is human life, not just human life-- innocent human life. A baby's heart starts beating at 5 weeks gestation (3 weeks after conception). You don't even know you are pregnant yet. This baby is very much alive and complete, formed by God's hands.
I know there are extreme circumstances that come about, ex. rape etc.. but I believe human life is still God ordained and should not be destroyed in any circumstance. There are a lot of loving homes out there who would love to adopt if your circumstance is not one that is beneficial for raising children.
I have found a great tool for comparing the two candidates and where they stand on every important issue. Unfortunately, I couldn't download it to fit in this blog but you will find it very user friendly. http://downloads.frcaction.org/EF/EF08H02.pdf
There is a lot about Obama that I am not fond of. Particularly his smooth talk and how easily he can keep switching what he says depending on what the people want to hear. I guess it is just "above his pay grade" to be honest. If he gets into office and puts into practice the things he is saying our economy will be far worse than it is now. Let's start with the issue of health care- the system he wants to put in place will make it impossible for me to see a doctor without the government knowing about it. Really think about this. If Obama was to get into office and do this- there would be no hidden part of our lives from the government. They would know what we go to the Dr. for and even dictate whether or not we can have certain procedures done. I know this as fact. Joel has relatives from Canada where they have the national health care system. It is not pretty. His cousin broke his back and needed surgery and had to wait months to get it. He just wasn't urgent enough and on their system the top priorities have to be done first and it goes down to the least. To his cousin and their family this was a top priority. He couldn't work- therefore no income and he was in constant pain. How would you like your government deciding that for you?
Also, his issues on schools are another area. He wants to get government more involved. What we need are parents to be more involved. I love our country in that it is supposed to be governed by the people- let's get back to that and not have someone who wants to make government larger than life. I certainly do not want to give up all my rights to have government have their hands in everything.
As far as Palin goes- she is great. Exactly what this country needs. She is conservative and lives out what she says. Both her and McCain are very genuine and stay true each and every time they talk. I can't say the same for Obama. They will make a great pair in the white house and will bring about the change we need. She is getting a lot of unfair criticism about inexperience, can she do it?, etc.. I have to laugh because look at Obama's credentials and he is running for the Presidency, not just the V.P. She has done many things for her state the short time she has been governor-- she is more than just talk.
I know the war is a core issue. Many people are not fond of it. I am not either. War is something that is not pleasant. It is something that must be done though. Reading through countless chapters in the Bible will tell you as much. My own little brother has joined the army and right now is going through the hardest time of his life; boot camp. I think we would all rather have him home, safe and sound but that isn't realistic. If we could love these extreme terrorists enough to change their minds, don't you think that would already be done. Terrorists are always going to be there and always be a threat. We need a president who can stand up to them and not be afraid. One who himself has served and knows firsthand what they are capable of. Our nation needs to be ready for whatever may come and not turning our cheeks to look the other way and pretend we don't see it happening. I know Bush gets a lot of criticism for the war but you don't see the other side. If you talk to media it is all doom and gloom but when you talk to the soldiers and watch the websites that are unbiased you will see the good that is done...how much better off Iraq is... the progress they are making. It is remarkable. Bush has done a great job rebuilding the military that Clinton almost destroyed. A military is a very needed thing for any country to prosper and we are on the path to building a strong one.
I know this is a long blog post, but this is something I am very passionate about. If you consider yourself a Christian than you should be thinking long and hard about this year and all years of elections. Are the candidates you are voting for supporting and protecting the sanctity of human life? Are they protecting moral issues and religious rights? Or are they making laws to get "hate speech" passed. Trying to take away our religious freedoms and make Christianity something it is not and in turn, making God into something he is not. I suggest you pray very hard about this and study the Bible to see God's character. Then you will know the things he wants and be able to vote accordingly.
7 comments:
Hey Hannah! I respect you soooo much for sticking up for things you believe in and speaking your mind. That is something that I have never been able to do because I'm scared of the critisism... (even just announcing the name we picked out for our new baby was hard for me)... anyway, I really respect you. You never know who will be listening (or reading in this case!) and I appreciate your ability to stand up for God in everyday life-stuff, and even stuff like politics. :)
That was a marvelous blog Hannah! :) I agree with you 110%.
Thank you Kara-- You are sweet. I don't think you should ever be ashamed of what you believe in and know to be true. For me, as long as I know I can back up what I said, which I can if anyone wants to disagree- than I feel validated in saying it.
Don't worry what people think about your baby name. You guys are the ones who are going to call him that his whole life. It is your child and your right. We have gotten lots of criticism for the boy name we would have named Abby (Xander) and we may still use it anyway. Anyway- thanks for the praise!
Thank you too Danie! (Sorry I was spelling your name wrong previously. I will spell it right from now on! :-) )
Hey, Hannah,
I just found your blog from "Light your world". I must say, for a young person, you are mature beyond your years. From the ages of your children, you are about the same age and my kids. They are pretty passionate about the elections too, but there are so many who aren't.
As Christians, we need to pray for a revival in America. We need strong, positive Christian leaders who will call upon our Lord daily, for direction. I agree with you that McCain/Palin are right for the job. We are sorry for her family situation, but things happen. The Lord forgives!
I'll bookmark your blog so I can read it. Thank you for your comments.
I found you through the sponbergs site and wanted to thank you for writing your post on the elections. i agree with you 100%
as worried as i am about what will happen if obama is elected i have to remember that GOD is in control and he has promised to take care of those who love and trust him! thank you and God Bless.
Hannah.. Found your blog on "Light your world" Just wanted to stop by and say I agree with you that McCain/Palin are right for the job..
Praying every christian will get out there and vote for them...
By the way.. You have a beautiful family too... Praying you have a very blessed weekend!!
Well stated Hannah! I think you should consider journalism, you do a great job! I am really liking Palin too! What is sad is that I am in a field in which most of my co-workers strongly support Obama along with my Union. I don't get to express my opinion a whole lot, partially because I'm a chicken, but I just don't want to raise controversy either. I can only do my part and lay the rest in God's hands! Keep on writing:)
Post a Comment